Wednesday 12 December 2012

WIP Wednesday - Planning and Pattern Testing

While my machine has been out of action, I've been trying to get stuff done that doesn't rely on accurate piecing.  So, I've been making teacher presents for the amazing women who have taught my sons this year. Earlier this year, my fabulous friend Jen pattern tested for Michelle of City House Studio and made her fab 'Read Library Bag'. I instantly knew it was perfect for teacher presents. I've done the back and front panels, made the lining and am just waiting on my machine to quilt the outer panels and put them together. The boys asked their teachers what their favourite colours were, and I was under strict instructions not to deviate from it (hence all the pink and purple!!)



I've also agreed to pattern test for a couple of my quilty friends - these don't need to be done until mid-late January, so I'll have plenty of time to get them done, once I've finished up my HFWYG QAL quilt (I SO want my machine back so I can finish it off!!!) The plan is to start cutting for these while I wait for Friday and the return of my baby ;o)

First up, I'm pattern testing for the uber talented Jess - making her Lucky Square quilt in the twin size. This will be for my little girl - and I'm using my Sherbet Pips stash (plus a few other Aneela Hoey fabrics). Jess's used a much wider range of colours, so I'll be interested to see how it looks in a more restricted palette.


And then my gorgeous and talented friend Alyce asked if I'd test her first full size pattern (which is seriously fab!). Cue my FMF stash, plus a few other Denyse Schmidt prints. I'm deciding on background still (probably ash or white), but I'm really excited about this one too!


I also have bee blocks a plenty to catch up on, so I'm going to be busy, busy, busy for the next couple of months!

Oh, and please check out my Massive Aurifil Giveaway happening right now - it's open until next Monday.

Linking up to WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced (button in sidebar) - and looking forward to seeing what everyone is up to!

xx Jess

14 comments:

Jennifer said...

lucky you! i love pattern testing -- those bags look so cute! cant wait to see them done!

Adrianne @ On the Windy Side said...

Ooh, cute projects. I am pattern testing Lucky Square as well - looks like a fun pattern and I can't wait to get started! I am also very interested to see how it turns out with a more restricted colour palette.

Kristy @ Quiet Play said...

Ooh I've had a sneak peek of Alyce's new pattern and i think it'll look amazing in those fabrics!

Love the Read panels too!

Melinda said...

That's quite a list to start in December! Can't wait to see!

Alyce @ Blossom Heart Quilts said...

It should look great in those colours!!!

Susan said...

I pattern tested the "Read" library bag AND I'm a teacher! Your children's teachers will love the bags! And how exciting to make TWO new quilts! They are going to be fabulous!

Charlotte said...

you are one busy lady! *distracts you with shiny things and swipes DS stash*

Di said...

You are busy. Don't forget to enjoy Christmas too. Di x

Kirsten said...

The "Read" bags are just perfect for teachers! And the new quilts are going to be lovely too!

tartankiwi said...

Look forward to seeing your new quilts, pattern testing is such fun isn't it!?

And the teacher gifts- great! Lucky teachers!!

Katy Cameron said...

Yup, that'll keep you busy for a while! You're putting the fear of god into me though, my machine is actually a couple of months past its annual service and I know it needs to go in in January, but I'm afraid I'll not get it back like this!

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...

You are going to be busy! I'mm looking forward to seeing those quilts :)

Kathleen said...

I'm having a panic attack at just the thought of not having my sewing machine to hand, hope you get it back soon as it sounds as though your going to need it sooner than later :-)

Kelly said...

Love those read bag fronts!