Tuesday 18 December 2012

Just in the nick of time...

Massive sigh of relief here. I really wasn't sure I'd get these made in time for giving them to the teachers before school breaks up for the year (last day of school is on Thursday so I've cut it pretty fine!)

I used the fantastic pattern by Michelle of City House Studio after seeing it pattern tested by my friend Jen earlier this year. The boys asked their teachers (and my little guy's kinder teacher aide, who is pretty much a second teacher) what their favorite colours were, and went with that. The paper piecing was heaps of fun - I always enjoy using my scraps for these kinds of projects :o)
.

I did deviate from the pattern for the backs (due to massive time constraints, mainly!!) - rather than a pieced book shelf I just used a solid piece of fabric, and straight line quilted it.


I'm happy with how they turned out - I'm at that nervous point now of 'will they like them?'.


Now these are done, I can finally get back to bee blocks, pattern testing and QAL blocks. And Christmas, can't forget that ;o)

xx Jess

18 comments:

traditional_quilter said...

Your bags turned out lovely. The teachers should love them! Good job. Merry Christmas! Lisa

Susan said...

Of course they will like them- useful and pretty at the same time! Far better than another box of chocolates or tea light candles (speaking from experience!) I like that you kept one side simple too! This bag doesn't need the bookshelf on the other side for it to be a winner!

Kirsten said...

The tote bags are so beautiful and the teachers will really love them!

Jess @ Scrappy n Happy said...

They look great! I am sure they will like them but I am familiar with that feeling too!

Di said...

What is not to like? These are just lovely and the teachers are rather lucky IMHO. Di x

Charlotte said...

they are fantastic! I'm sure they well be very well received :-D

Noela said...

What a great gift for the teachers. Love the bags. Hugs.....

Jess @ Elven Garden Quilts said...

Thanks Lisa! Merry Christmas :o)

Altax said...

GReat patterns and nice design.

Kids Games

Katy Cameron said...

Yay for beating deadlines!

Martha said...

Your bags are beautiful Jess. I'm sure the teachers are going to love them.

Benta AtSLIKstitches said...

These look fab, I'm sure they'll love them!

Carla said...

They will love them!

Sharon said...

Brilliant ! I am going to make these for my kids teachers. Thanks

Chez Roo said...

These turned out beautifully!

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...

These look great! They'll love them :)

Jennifer said...

These came out fabulous!! Great work!

CitricSugar said...

They are absolutely gorgeous!!

Merry Christmas. :-)