Sunday 30 December 2012

2012: A Review

All in all, I've had a pretty good year. I finished a few big(ish) quilts (and started a lot more ;o)), made quite a few mini quilts and a couple of cushions and bags.


I have to say my favorite part of my blogging life this year has been all the people I've connected with and the friendships I've made around the world. When I started my blog I had no idea what a wonderful and supportive online community there is in the crafty world - so to all of you who follow me and leave lovely comments, a huge thank you. You've made my year so much better in so many ways :o)

Highlights for me were participating in a few fabulous swaps (nothing better than receiving squishy packages of handmade goodness), having a couple of tutorials published in Fat Quarterly e-mag, and coming in second place in the Groove QAL. I didn't finish a huge number of big quilts, but I have learnt quite a few new techniques, and have a whole bunch of works in progress that I'd love to finish sometime in 2013. The plan is to join the FAL - being hosted by the uber talented Leanne of She Can Quilt. I'm hoping it will be the kick up the butt I need to get some of my long term WiPs finally done (retro flowers and my stained quilt in particular!)

At the end of last year I wrote a list of things I hoped to achieve in 2012, so I thought I'd review what I did and didn't accomplish.

Participate in some QALs - I've already signed up for two QALs, and will probably do more. 

Yep, I did a lot more. I didn't actually get any finished except my Groove quilt (possibly my favorite finish of the year).

Not only that, but I ended up co-hosting a QAL with Jess (which is finishing up in a couple of weeks!). I had no idea what I was getting myself into - it was a LOT of work but I learnt a massive amount doing it. A huge, huge thanks to Jess for joining me in doing it - she did a lot of the designing work and I'm not sure it would have happened without her encouragement.

Participate in a bee

Heh, make that three bees, with another one starting in January!

Finish writing up some of my designs into tutorial/patterns to put on my blog (I have one nearly finished).

I ended up writing up a few tutorials for quilts in 2012 - and I got EQ7 for Christmas (the nagging totally paid off) so there will most likely be a few more in 2013!

Learn some more difficult techniques (paper piecing and needle-turn applique in particular)

I tackled paper piecing, curved piecing, and generally gained a lot more skills in complex piecing thanks to the QAL. I'm generally a way more confident and accurate quilter these days :o) I still haven't learnt applique, but that is on my list for 2013 - along with Sashiko (stay tuned on that one - there's a really cool blog hop I'm participating in coming up soon!).

There was also my 'dream' list:


And some things I'd like to do but don't expect will actually happen this year:

Get one of my designs in Moda Bakeshop

Still dreaming of this one ;o)

Get published somehow


Amazingly I did get a tutorial published in Fat Quarterly (still get excited that it happened, lol!)

So, onward and upward for 2013 - honestly I don't think it could top this year, but you never know!

xx Jess

21 comments:

Charlotte said...

A great year, so many lovely things, and I am very glad to have met you :-D

Alyce @ Blossom Heart Quilts said...

So great to have set some goals and achieved them!! Good on you!! They're similar to mine too - good luck to us :D

Di said...

Looks like 2012 was both challenging and satisfying. You have made lots of lovely things. I has been nice exchanging comments with you throughout the year and I agree that the online community is a great one to belong to. Di x

Kelly said...

I love all your makes and am so glad I found your blog. Have a great New year x

Amy's Crafty Shenanigans said...

Yum - I see my favourite quilt there - I defintely need to make one!! WIshing you a very Happy New Year Jess :)

Annabella said...

Your mosaic is full of beautiful makes - you've had a wonderful year. Here's to an equally fabulous 2013!

Katy Cameron said...

You had a pretty amazing year, and I think your mastering of FMQ was the best :o)

Jess @ Scrappy n Happy said...

Looks like you have had a very productive year! I hope 2013 is even better!

Sharon said...

Great year! You got a lot accomplished, but even better, it was fun. Glad I " met" you this year

Anonymous said...

What a productive year you had ! You made so so many lovely things (i LOVE your groove quilt too, the quilting is amazing on this one!)

Hopefully, 2013 will be even better !

Leanne said...

Each of your projects is one of my favourites I think, I love what you make and especially how you quilt them. I am looking forward to watching what you make this coming year and am glad you will be part of the FAL too.

Jessica said...

I really enjoy reading your blog :) congrats on all of your accomplishments this year!

Carla said...

Enjoyed getting to know you this year ; ) your mosaic is impressive!

Sarah said...

brilliant work jess, really!

Catherine said...

Its great to see what you achieved last year! And all such fabulous makes too

Benta AtSLIKstitches said...

Isn't blogging great!. Wishing ou a great, and crafty, 2013

Beth said...

Looks like you had a great year! I don't remember seeing that Melody Miller/Chicopee bag - cute!

CapitolaQuilter said...

An amazing year for you - congrats on getting published, that's super exciting

CitricSugar said...

Amazing work, all of it - and congrats on all that goal-accomplishment!

Newbie Jen said...

Fabulous projects, Jess! You are an inspiration!

Jenelle said...

I've loved getting to know you this past year! I am also hoping to tackle some more difficult techniques this year and to be a better finisher than starter. Happy New Year Jess!