Friday 21 December 2012

And we have a quilt top!

Since it's Friday and this is seriously a case of thank f*** it's finished, I'm linking up to TGIFF for the first time (although in this case TFIFF may be more appropriate).

This quilt started as an idea right near the beginning of the year, and after much back and forth between myself and Jess, evolved into our How Far Will You Go? QAL quilt - eighteen different blocks in three different sizes. I'm not totally in love with it (I'll be honest - I just made each block without really considering the end product) and it's kind of a mess of colour, but I am so proud of how much I have learnt in making it.

I probably should have waited until tomorrow to post this (it's 9pm here, and I have literally just finished putting it together, so it's taken in dusky light - not ideal :oP) but I couldn't wait, so you'll have to bear with the dodgy photography.

My points are pretty good in the main part - aside from the Wandering Foot, which I needed to trim down to size, so I've lost the points in some cases (whoops!!).


I need to decide whether to border it (and if so what fabric to use) and how to quilt it. I'm toying between an all over design (since there is so much going on already) or going all out and quilting each block individually. It may be some time before I decide :o)

But since it's done, I'm rewarding myself by playing with this collection of pretties tonight (another crappy photo - didn't plan this post all that well, did I?).


Destined to become Tula's awesome Colour Blocks quilt. And ignoring completely the list of projects that I really should be working on... 

Hope everyone has had a great week!

xx Jess





16 comments:

Charlotte said...

it's amazing!!!! So impressed :-D

Karen Pior said...

So much work has gone into this quilt - and only you will ever notice the missing points! I think all over quilting would be a good choice ( my humble opinion for what's worth!). Thanks for linking up on my blog today. Cheers, Karen

Amira@littlemushroomcap said...

It looks lovely Jess.. I love the fabrics you'll be playing with too.. I finished up a quilt yesterday and forgetting other things on my list and went straight to play with new fabrics too!

Lucy | Charm About You said...

It looks incredible! There are so many blocks I really love in this quilt. I don't often love borders but I think this might need them. I know whatever quilting you chose will be fabulous.
Adoring the Tula too!

MsMidge said...

Love it!

Jess @ Scrappy n Happy said...

I think it looks fine! I have done the same thing and started a wall hanging for no. 1 sons room instead of what is on my list!

Lynette said...

Woohoo!! I just love getting to the flimsy stage.

Deb@asimplelifequilts said...

Your top is absolutely gorgeous! I hope you grow to love it now that it's together...

Beth said...

Beautiful!

Newbie Jen said...

Fantastic F-Finish! I love how yours turned out! I can't wait to see how you will quilt it!

Kerstin said...

This is fantastic! I'd say go for a white border and then use scrappy binding with fabric from all the blocks!

Katy Cameron said...

Woohoo for finishes, and for rewarding play, especially with Tula :oD

Susan said...

Oooh! I like it! I think it would look good with a narrow white border, then a red (or purple) one and finally another wider white one! It is a really interesting quilt with so much prettiness to look at!

Jenelle said...

All of those gorgeous blocks together make for such a stunning quilt! It really makes me want to dig into my heirloom stash and make one too just like it! I'm also pretty excited about that stack of fabrics. :) So much loveliness Jess!

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...

This is looking lovely! Merry Christmas :)

Benta AtSLIKstitches said...

I lovethe randomness of it, well done!