Wednesday 5 December 2012

Building Blocks Tuesday - where I've nearly caught up!

My lovely friend Jen (aka Newbie Jen, quilter in the closet) has just started a new weekly linky party called Building Blocks Tuesday - great name, don't you think?


Quilter in the Closet

And since I've been madly trying to get my blocks done for the HFWYG? QAL I actually have been 'building blocks'. I only have a few of the 5" blocks left to do - but there's a bit of a drama. I took my sewing machine in to be serviced yesterday and I've borrowed my old machine from my sister. Total first world problem here - but I HATE it. I never used it for complicated patchwork (ie just squares back when I started quilting) and I quickly discovered the 'patchwork foot' I'd been using actually sews a 3/8" seam - and the foot is designed so that I can't shift my needle position to fix it. Soooo, instead of ripping pretty much every seam three or four times I'm leaving the rest of my blocks until I have my machine back :o)

I persevered yesterday and made these:

 Jack in the Box

 Crazy Ann

All the blocks together (a couple of small holes where the remaining blocks will go). Apologies for the horrible photo - my design wall is not well lit ;o)


I'll admit I have been wondering if it would just look like a big mess (and it kind of still does) - but I actually really like it. I'll probably swap a few blocks around to try and balance it a bit but the layout is pretty much there.


xx Jess

11 comments:

Newbie Jen said...

These look marvelous, Jess! Even with the drama, they look great!

Katy Cameron said...

Bugger on the old machine! Mine really needs to go in for a service, but it'll have to wait til after Christmas!

Sarah said...

Oh wow Jess its looking fabulous! Hope the servicing goes well...

Angela Bullard said...

I'm a little concerned that mine is going to look like a mess when I get it put together. I need to put together the last 3 sets of blocks then I'll be ready. Hope mine comes out as good as yours.

Charlotte said...

it looks fantastic!!!!

Jess @ Scrappy n Happy said...

Looking good! My machine needs a service too but I have too much to do! Hubby got my overlocker going today, it was siezed up from lack of use!

Kim said...

I really like those blocks together, I don't think they're messy at all. I'm not one for perfect symmetry, saying that :) I've had old machine drama while my newer and stupidly expensive (and temperamental) machine was serviced under warranty. Once I was used to it again I've actually found old machine love!

Lucy | Charm About You said...

oh my gosh it looks brilliant!!! Just the inspiration I needed to catch up a bit more!

Benta AtSLIKstitches said...

Wow, I've been looking forward to seeing them together, they look fab! I have a UFO that I started on one machine that I've since passed on, I'm dreading having to work out where to stich when I pick it up again!

Helen @vintageglorybox on Insta and FB said...

Love this Jess! I am actually thinking something similar might be done for the Scrappy Bee... Hmmm... Food for thought ;)

Hope your machine gets better soon!

Anonymous said...

Absolutely stunning! Can't wait to see if finished!