Tuesday 16 April 2013

The great bee (almost) catch up

I'm in three bees at the moment, and nearly from the beginning I've been behind (horribly so at one point), so I'm really happy that I've almost caught up :o) Just one March and a few April blocks and I'll be completely up to date - hopefully before the end of the month at this rate :o)

The March and April queens in Stash Bee both requested the same block, with slightly different colours - the Cracker Scrap block by Angela. These are giant 19.5" blocks, but came together really easily. I mostly used fabric from my Reunion layer cake for these.


In the AusMod bee, our queen for March was Charlotte, who sent us three solids (bright pink, slate and white) and asked for two traditional 12.5" blocks (or a modern twist on traditional blocks).

The first block I paper pieced using this tutorial by Jenna of Sew Happy Geek (which incidentally I would have made as part of the Sew Happy Quilt QAL if I'd ever finished it. ;o) ) A few of the seams are a tiny bit off, but it mostly came together pretty well.


I didn't have much fabric left over for the second block, so I went with a fairly simple 9-patch variation of my own devising (although closely based on an actual block - unsure of the name sorry!)


And finally, one of two April blocks for the AusMod bee for Bronwyn. She sent us a variety of (extremely cool) aqua/blue and red fabrics with white solid, and asked for two 12.5" blocks from the Summer Sampler Series. This one is the Flower Garden - I used the alternate piecing method and it was surprisingly stress free, despite the number of bias edges involved.


So I just need to make my March and April blocks for Scrappy? Sew Bee It, and a second block for Bron and I'm up to date! Eeep!

I've also been working on my Retro Flowers blocks - back tomorrow with some progress on that front :o)
Oh, and by the way, the little man absolutely LOVES his Mario quilt - thanks for all your lovely comments! I will be writing up a tutorial for the maze quilting at some stage in the near future :o)
xx Jess

15 comments:

Susan said...

Love all your blocks- as usual! The cracker scrap is a beauty! You'll be all caught up before you know it!

Annabella said...

Wow - these blocks are stunning! Not only wonderful designs but so beautifully executed!!

Sewing Mom said...

Love that first block! I had to go check it out.

Jess @ Scrappy n Happy said...

Love your blocks. that first one for Charlotte is really great, it has me pondering if that block would be good for my month!

Rosa said...

Love all your blocks.The design, sewing and your fabrics choice are just wonderful!!

Susan at TheBoredZombie.com said...

Very cool! These are great. You're moving right along! I'm so glad to hear your son loved his quilt, though I was positive he would. Who wouldn't? :)

http://suedrescreations.blogspot.com/

Shanley said...

Very nice! Catching up is always a relief! I'm only two blocks behind in my bee although neither is technically late...yet.

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...

These blocks are wonderful! Congrats on getting nearly caught up. I'm always behind in my bees too and I hate it - it makes me feel about sewing other things .

Deborah said...

I really enjoy seeing bee blocks. They always give me new ideas!! Your blocks are gorgeous and beautifully made!!

Heather D. said...

Beautiful beautiful blocks, Jess!

moira said...

like what Annabella said :)

Di said...

It will be worth the wait if you are to receive such beautiful blocks. Good on you. Di x

Kirsten said...

Beautiful blocks Jess - I am still thinking about what to make for Bron!

Katy Cameron said...

So you've not been sleeping lately, right?! They look great though :o)

Nicky said...

Well done on the catch up - those blocks are well worth waiting for! I should be on a catch up mission too! So much to do, so little time!