Wednesday 17 April 2013

Playing with flowers

Since I finished off Mario last week, I've been on a bit of a finishing things high, so I pulled out my Retro Flowers plastic tub and got working on them again. There wasn't quite as much work involved as I'd thought - no trimming or curves left to do, just piecing the petals for the last seven flowers. And now they're done!

They're on the design wall right now, and I'm playing with layouts. I'm going with the standard 4x4 layout with a border - I just need to decide how to arrange the flowers. I'm thinking the lower layout at this stage - but I think I'll keep playing with it over the next few days until I'm completely happy. 



My design wall isn't well lit, so these photos really don't do the fabric justice - this is my absolute all time favourite collection ever. Anna Maria Horner is a genius with colour. I'm not convinced this quilt was the best way to use some of the prints (they'd be better used less cut up) but I do have more of each print, so there will be another Good Folks quilt on the horizon when I decide what to do with it. Regardless, I'm completely besotted now I've pieced all the flowers. 

I've given myself a deadline for this one - I'd like to get it finished for the Blogger's Quilt Festival in May (so roughly four weeks). It's not going to be huge (60" x 60") so I think I should manage it!

xx Jess

Linking up with Lee


WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced

21 comments:

Newbie Jen said...

Jess, I am always amazed at all you have going on! Can't wait to see what is on your blog page next.

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

These are so very pretty!

Jessica said...

Gorgeous! I agree about using larger cuts - I love AMH but I'm finding that w/ a lot of her fabrics. Good goal, too :) You're giving me the kick in the butt I need to finish things for the BQF!

Carla said...

This is so gorgeous! Love the curves but have never done them

Susan said...

This is going to be beautiful as we have come to expect from you Jess. Can I suggest you move one of the dark pink flowers- in the third column? I think they are a little close together. Of course you can tell me to mind my own business!!

Charlotte said...

hooray!!!! It's SO beautiful :-D

Nat at Made in Home said...

It is beautiful! A good thing ou took it out again!

Annabella said...

AMH is a complete and utter genius!! Your Retro flowers are stunning - so glad you got them out again :)

Jess @ Scrappy n Happy said...

I agree with the second layout. It looks fabulous!

Susan at TheBoredZombie.com said...

Very good! I look at things for days too. Even take pictures so I can drag them around and look at them on my phone when I have down time. Funny the things you see when you walk away for a bit and come back to it.

Tina in Boston said...

I love your version of this quilt! I have one on deck myself. I would love to finish it for BQF, too, but we'll see how that goes. Good luck!

Amy Friend said...

Oh, they are so pretty in these fabrics!

Shanna said...

This is gorgeous!! This is definitely my favorite collection as well. She is one of my favorite designers!

Leigh Anne said...

Gorgeous! I have one of these on my someday list :)

Katy Cameron said...

Yay for getting the blocks done. Have fun with the arranging (1:30 am worked well for me as a timeframe ;o) )

Catherine said...

It looks fantastic Jess

moira said...

I agree with the bottom choice. Beautiful beautiful. Have you seen the field study linens? *feels faint*

Kirsten said...

Beautiful! I really like the bottom layout as I think the warm/cool alternating blocks stand out more.

Sara said...

This is super fun! It's like looking through windows to a bright and wonderful garden! Unfortunately today in Minnesota we are having a blizzard (literally, and no that is not normal for this time of year) and I can use any glimpse of summer I can get :-)

Renee said...

It looks great! Love those flowers.

Jo said...

Just gorgeous. I love it. Can't wait to see it quilted