Wednesday 24 April 2013

My new secret (quilting) weapon

Since I started free motion quilting, I've read about various tools and gadgets that make the job easier, but up until recently I haven't used anything to aid my quilting. Recently though we were at our local hardware store in the gardening section, and I noticed some fairly cheap gardening gloves that were really flexible and had great grip, so I got a pair intending to use them when quilting. They sat unused for a few months, but then I thought I'd try them out for quilting my Retro Flowers quilt.


I am so glad I did - the make it so much easier to grip the quilt and move it smoothly when quilting. Problem is, my little girl loves them too, and keeps running off with them (so they're currently missing!) They've been such a help with quilting Retro Flowers - I'm stitching in the ditch around each petal, and then echoing about 1/4" away, which has required a lot of control (and time and patience!!). So far so good (apart from the first one, which will be ripped and redone - it's extremely wonky). I'm going to leave the petals un-quilted so they really pop.


For the areas in between the flowers, I've decided to use a quilting idea I've been admiring for a long time, which is a trademark of the fabulously talented Lisa (seriously check out her blog - she quilted the Best in Show at Quiltcon). It's called triple stitch (as the name suggests, three straight lines of stitching really close together) - time consuming, but I just totally adore the texture it gives. It kind of looks and feels like really chunky corduroy. Since it's fairly small areas, I'm doing it by eye (following the central seam for the first stitch lines) - I'd love to do it over a larger area, but would definitely be marking first.


I've quilted around about 3/4 of the flowers, and only done the one triple stitch area so far, but I'm really loving how it looks :o)

Hope everyone is having a great week!

xx Jess

21 comments:

Susan said...

Your quilting is amazing!!!! You have such tenacity to tackle such a job! But it is SO worth it! Beautiful!

Jessica said...

The triple stitch quilting looks great, just like my chunky cord lounge.

I took a machine quilting class and the teacher suggested Ansell HyFlex gloves which you can get at Woolworths, they're very similar with rubber grip all over the palms & fingers with a lighter breathable stretchy back. They're great, I just wish I could get a smaller size for a closer fit, might be time to checkout the hardware store.

Sarah said...

Holy moley you have some patience for quilting dont you! That triple stitch is wonderful and it does look like cord - yummy. Might try it one day, on a mugrug.... lol

Leanne said...

I cannot believe you have done all your wonderful quilting without gloves. The machingers ones are thinner and so less hot when you use them for long periods quilting. I cannot quilt without them, even small pieces.

Charlotte said...

love the triple stitch!!!! Those gloves rock - I have some proper quilting gloves, but actually I think those would be better. The real ones are cotton and they kind of slide around on my hands

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

Beautiful quilting....there should be a tripple needle for that....lol

Heather D. said...

The quilting looks amazing. It'll really let those flowers pop. And I have a similar pair of hardware store gloves that I love for quilting!

CitricSugar said...

Yep, a friend tossed me an extra pair of gloves she had (she had a ton of freebies) and who knew? So much less tugging and slipping. Go figure.

And wow - that triple stitch is cool!

moira said...

love your quilting choice - looks fab. My MIL bought me quilting gloves for Christmas last year - they are as yet unsullied *shamefaced*

Lucy | Charm About You said...

ok I must get gloves! You're going to be even more amazing if you discover tools ;)
When you're doing the lines are you travelling along the outline of the petals (does that make sense, otherwise you'd be stopping and starting a lot?! I never know what to do when I have to stop!)? It looks fantastic :)

Annabella said...

Your quilting really is seriously amazing, and I too have mislaid my gloves...you are inspiring me to get some new ones!

Lisa Sipes said...

Looks totally fab Jess!!!

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...

This quilting is gorgeous. I've tried some gardening and also washing up gloves but they weren't great. I'm going to look for some like yours!

Jessica said...

Loooooove. Can't wait to see the whole thing :) You've reminded me that I need to get gloves before I finish quilting a huge quilt!

Jenelle said...

Amazing quilting! I just bought this pattern, so I'm taking notes on your quilting ideas. :) This is going to be so beautiful.

Benta AtSLIKstitches said...

This is going to be great! I can't wear gloves, but I found small grip mats in Poundlland, I guess mean to stop phones sliding on the car dashboard, and put a piece of that either side of where I want to quilt. The triple stitch (called a bean stitch in embroidery) is really difficult to keep straight, you've done an amazing job!

Nat at Made in Home said...

I love your quilting! Great tool!

Shanley said...

I love that you are careful to note that this may not be your only secret weapon. That way people will wonder if you have others in the form of a dozen ninjas and not mess with you.

Katy Cameron said...

Ooh, it looks fab! I have gloves I got at a quilt show, but heaven only knows what brand, I was just excited to have found a pair small enough!

pandchintz said...

Great quilting!!

Nicky said...

My gloves are thick cotton - might have to look for a thinner pair!