Thursday 30 August 2012

Let's Get Acquainted Blog Hop

Today is my turn in the Let's Get Acquainted Blog Hop organised by Beth of Plum and June. If you're a blog-hopper, welcome and thanks for visiting!


Plum and June

I've written up a tutorial for how to make this quilt for my stop on the blog hop. If you make something using it, please let me know - I'd love to see!



So a little bit about me. I'm a 32 year old stay at home mum to three kids (7, 5 and 2). I have a partner who works interstate a lot - he's been away about 80% of the last six months. Way back before kids, I worked as a scientist so quilting really appeals to my inner maths geek ;o) Quilting and blogging is my me time, and helps to keep me (mostly) sane :o) I live in a pretty small city, and I don't know anyone who is into modern quilting, so blogging and the online quilting community are my way of connecting with other quilters. I love that I've made so many quilty friends through blogging - it's definitely my favorite part of blogging! 




A few of the things I've made...

I've been quilting for about a year now. I generally have a few thousand projects on the go at once - if you're interested, you can check out my current WiPs - I even updated it!

I am currently co-hosting a QAL with my friend Jess - we're only 5 weeks in (it's going to go for 24 weeks or so) so if you'd like to join us, it's not too late! The Fat Quarter Shop have generously offered $250 in gift certificates, and we have three categories in which you can enter (one is for small quilted items, so you could just make one block and still enter to win!) It's been a lot of fun so far - we have a Flickr group if you'd like to check out what everyone's making! 


Favorite blogging tip - be yourself. 

Favorite fabric - right now (because it arrived today) it's these beautiful newspaper roses by Yuwa. They're destined for a future quilt, once I work out what I want to do :o)


Favorite craft book: Probably 'Quilting Modern' - so much inspiration in that book!

Favorite book: The Name of The Wind by Patrick Rothfuss - amazing book. I'm an avid fantasy reader :o)


Favorite quilting tool: my rotary cutter, when it has a new blade!


Favorite music to listen to while quilting: Muse. 


Favorite TV show while hand stitching: Dollhouse or Firefly.


Enjoy the rest of the blog hop, 
xx Jess 



28 comments:

Charlotte said...

did I know you were a scientist? Me too! :-D

Nat at Made in Home said...

Loved to hear more about you! Great projects, and I did not know your favourite fabric - but I may to see where I can get it..

Kelly said...

Love your blog and everything you make!

Lucy | Charm About You said...

Gorgeous makes, you are so inspiring! Love reading a bit more about you too, love Firefly :)
Those fabrics are beautiful!

Taryn V. said...

All your projects are beautiful. I love all the color in your mosaic! I had never seen that Yuwa fabric before...it is gorgeous!

Tracey @ The Peony Teacup said...

I love the colours in your Chevron quilt, Jess. The black really makes the colours pop!

Martha said...

Hi Jess nice to meet you. I love all of your projects

Sharon said...

Your swoon quilt and the bright snail trail are so great!

Katy Cameron said...

Oooh, loving that Yuwa fabric!

Tessa @ TheSewingChick said...

Hi Jess, nice to meet you. Your finished quilts are gorgeous. Great tutorial, too. Thanks for sharing!!

Beth said...

Great learning more about you and seeing that mosaic of all your beautiful projects - love those swoon blocks!

Kirsten said...

Another scientific person - it is amazing how many of us there are in the quilting world:) Love those new fabrics too!

Kristy QP said...

Your projects are just gorgeous! I love seeing what you are up to - such beautiful colour choices too!

Alyce @ Blossom Heart Quilts said...

Hey! Snaps for scientists! I'm married to one myself.

Jenelle said...

It's great to learn more about you! I also love Firefly and wish there were more episodes to watch. :) I also just bought Lizzy House's 1001 Peeps book so that I could also make the Out to Sea quilt (totally inspired by you!).

Ella said...

I love your QAL! This is a great chevron quilt, too!

Anne / Springleaf Studios said...

Nice to met you Jess. Your work is lovely. The hexie is great and the quilting fantastic. I love the idea of embossed words. Might give it a try.

Danny Heyen said...

Sharp blades and Firefly? I love you.

Julie said...

love the colors you choose for your projects - you have a great eye!

Chez Roo said...

You have so many fantastic projects on your blog - I am becoming a follower! And your FMQ is amazing - is that self-taught?

Cynthia@wabisabiquilts said...

Stopping by on the blog hop... wow, for someone who's only been quilting for a year, you've made a lot of beautiful things, and your machine quilting is so original and beautiful!

Heidi Staples said...

Your projects are just gorgeous!! I love seeing what you're making!

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...

Your mosaic is stunning. I love the variety and how colourful all your quilts are :)

Liz DandeliondD said...

Glad to meet you on the blog hop.
xxxx

MaterialGirlQuilts said...

So nice to meet you Jess! And I love your chevron quilt, thanks so much for the tutorial.
Amanda

Chris Dodsley @made by ChrissieD said...

Love your stuff and really great to meet you on P&J's Blog Hop :)

Pile O Fabric said...

Super late stopping by, but I love all of your work, you are so talented and I totally envy your FMQ skills :)

Debbie said...

Darling quilt!