Friday 31 January 2014

Invigorated

Over the last few months, my sewing and blogging has been a lot slower paced than normal, but it's been unexpectedly enjoyable. After a pretty steady string of deadlines last year (self imposed or otherwise) I was feeling a bit unmotivated and blah about all things sewing related, and needed to slow things down a bit and regain my desire to create. It has also been really great to spend lots of time as a family, as the mister has had the last three weeks off work. We have been staying at the beach all of this week, and I'm feeling incredibly invigorated and ready to get stuck back into sewing again. I just need to wait for my machine to come back from her service when we are back home so I can dive in!

It has also been really nice to step back and think about all things blog related. I love blogging; I love having a platform to share my creations on a broader scale than my family and friends (I'm pretty sure they love not having to listen to me talk quilts all the time, too), and I love the amazing online community I've found. At the same time (and I'm sure I'm not alone in this), blogging and social media have a tendency to become too much of a focus for me at times. It's incredibly uplifting to publish a post and get feedback from my lovely readers - and it is also quite addictive. I'm a pretty insecure, shy person and blogging has enabled me to gain a lot more self confidence in regards to my quilting and sewing (so a big thanks to all of you!). I guess anyone who blogs enjoys the validation it entails, I just wonder sometimes if I place too much importance on it. Although I try to make what I like and not worry about what other people think, how a project will be received is always at the back of my mind. Am I alone in this, or do other people feel the same? I'd love to know! 

Aside from sharing my makes in this space, I do have a couple of ideas of series I'd like to run on my blog this year - but before I launch into anything I'd love to hear your thoughts. One idea I've had for a long time is to run a series on how to draft quilt blocks (either original designs or working out measurements for more traditional quilt blocks). This is something I love to do (certified maths loving geek here), and would love to share if it is something that people are interested in or struggle with. I'm thinking of starting really simple, and working up to some more complex block examples. Would this kind of thing appeal to anyone? 

Apologies for the brain dump, but I'd really love to hear your thoughts on all of this :o)

xx Jess



22 comments:

Little Island Quilting said...

Keep doing what you're doing because YOU want to do it and not do what you do because you think OTHERS want it. Your authenticity shines through so stop worrying and just enjoy.
(Not sure that was helpful but there you go)!

amy said...

I definitely know what you mean!!! I love running series on my blog because they have really helped me to meet more people - I just love quiltalongs and sewing along and making the same project as other sewers. At the same time, I don't know that I've mastered the "voice" or keeping authentic while I'm doing things like that. I also disliked the process of organizing prizes and sponsor, which I felt like was a great part of some of those blogging activities. Of course you can have a quiltalong without them, but I just feel like they're better with them! (I say this partly because I'm so prize driven myself.) Let me know if you find the trick to keeping the balance :)

Benta AtSLIKstitches said...

I'm with you, sometimes I resent that I spend more time at the computer than the sewing machine, but I get a real buzz from comments and the sharing of ideas and resources that the community is so good at! The plans sound great: if you want to, then give it a go!!!!

DeborahGun said...

oh yes - the inevitable balance issues we face in the modern world. I honestly think it is a struggle for all of us. But I love having online friends who encourage me in my creativity :-) A series on maths and quilts sounds wonderful and extremely helpful :-)

Charlotte said...

that sounds fab, actually. Maths hurts my head in all sorts of bad ways, so learning to tame it would be wonderful. And I'm glad you like to blog your amazing creations, because you are an inspiration xxx

Anonymous said...

I know where you are coming from. I am currently taking a break from blogging, but, if I choose to stay away permanently, I know I will miss sharing my crafty fun with everyone. I don't really have any crafty friends nearby in the real world, so it's nice to have that interaction online.

Your idea for a blog series sounds like a good one.

Jess @ Scrappy n Happy said...

Were we twins in a previous life? Lol I have taken a bit of a break for the last couple of months and really cut back on blogging. I love blogging and following blogs, it is my creative friends network....without it I would feel very lonely!
Your series idea sounds really interesting. Bring it on!

Di said...

Blog when you want to and not because you feel you ought to…it should be a pleasure and not a chore.
Maths and quilty fun sound good to me!
Di x

Christine S said...

Your block series sounds great!

Susan said...

math geek, bring it!

Jessica said...

I feel ya, Jess! I was also feeling burnt out after the Christmas rush. I've been relaxing a lot more outside of sewing and I think it does wonders for my actual sewjo :) The math series sounds helpful!

Unknown said...

I love that idea! How to draft blocks is always a good thing to learn. It also helps quilters learn to see into patterns and know how they've been constructed. Welcome back and I hope you go for the new series idea!

Katy Cameron said...

Oh do whatever you like, it's your blog :oD

Enjoy the rest of your hollybags!

Leanne said...

I hope you do what is fun. I love seeing your quilts and your progress. I have been toying with a quilt math sort of series, maybe you will do it instead? Or would you like a partner?

Jackie's Stitches said...

I'd love to learn how you draft quilt blocks!

I always veer away from deadlines as it all then seems to feel like work. Great job in stepping back for a while and allowing your desire to create re-ignite!

LittleHouseontheDairy said...

Go for it! As another math geek, I would love to read it!
Mary Ann
http://littlehouseondairy.wordpress.com

Deb@asimplelifequilts said...

I would continue creating for yourself because I think if you are enjoying what you are making it shows in your blog. I would find a series on drafting blocks and changing their sizes very helpful!

myrtovl said...

Drafting patterns sounds very interesting to me, do you also EQ? Some help on that program also is very welcome from me!
Myrto

myrtovl said...

Drafting patterns sounds very interesting to me, do you also EQ? Some help on that program also is very welcome from me!
Myrto

Sarah @ sarahquilts.com said...

There's such a mix of positives and negatives that come with blogging and social media, not unlike relationships in "real" life!

You are such a phenomenal quilter and I just love hearing about and seeing your work! I really loved the color theory series in particular. Your blogging pace is completely up to you, your audience will be here when you have something to say!

Heather D. said...

I share a lot of your thoughts Jess. Whatever direction you decide to go, I'll continue to read, even if I don't always comment. I appreciate the work you put in!

Rosemary B❤️ said...

Rosemary B here:
Well, I just found your blog from Moda Bake Shop (love your baby ball quilt), came to your bloggie, and read this post.
I am math challenged at this point in life -- taking care of my elderly parents has made my brains a little fuzzy. So... I would love to have some guidance and really appreciate your idea. Bring it!
Thanks and I am subbing right now!