Saturday 8 June 2013

Moving right along

I had some productive sewing time this week, mostly spent quilting the giant secret quilt. It's nearly half-way done now, and it hasn't been as hard as I expected to get a 72" x 96" quilt through my Bernina. Admittedly, the middle section has been a bit difficult - I have some jerky bits along some of the curves, and my pebbles are a little bit haphazard. But overall I'm really happy with how it's looking. It's entirely inspired by Krista Wither's Modern Maze quilting design.

This is the back - I figure it's not giving anything away ;o)


The back is a wideback piece of Bella Solid in grey - it's really nice to work with and I loved not having to piece the back. I'm using Aurifil 50wt 2615 in the bobbin, and it's a perfect match. I'm hoping to get the quilting finished up this week, if all goes to plan. I've been watching a few youtube longarm quilting videos this week and it's making me really want a longarm for this sort of quilting. Sigh.

I've also picked up a  really long-term cross-stitch work in progress (I'm pretty sure I haven't touched this since I started quilting, or even longer). Now that it's winter (and freezing cold in my little sewing room) it's nice to have something to work on while watching rubbish on TV of a night. I have a couple of others that aren't quite finished as well - it's not just quilting that I'm perpetually starting new stuff. It's been happening all my life ;o) But these are the two that are in my sewing basket, so I guess I'll try to finish these first.

I have cross-stitched since I was about 8 I think, but stopped for years before picking it up again while I was at uni. I think this first one I just need to add beads to. Which I hate doing so it might be a while before she's finished ;o)


This is the one I've actually bee working on the last couple of nights. I love the saturated colour in this one so much. Lots of beading left to do though...


I'm hoping to perhaps get one of these finished over winter - I forgot how much I love cross stitching, and it's terrible addictiveness.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend
xx Jess

19 comments:

Kelly said...

Your FMQ looks amazing!

Susan said...

All your sewing is inspiring Jess! The FMQ is stunning! And the cross stitch- my! You are working on linen, not Aida, aren't you? My eyes are aching just thinking about it! They are both incredible! Keep going, I want to see them finished!

Jennifer said...

that quilting is amazing!!! I agree with the cross stitching, my olde world map one last year was so addicting! I almost had my quilting on hold while I was working on it!

Di said...

Your quilting is amazing. It is good to see it on the plain background. Di x

Nicky said...

Wow fab FMQ ! I think you are revealing yourself as a great machine quilter!

Surprised by how traditional those cross stitching designs are given your quilts but they are full of glorious colour and might have some lovely beads in them soon??

Startitis - I have that in many fields too!

Jess @ Scrappy n Happy said...

Your quilting looks fantastic! Makes mine look boring....it is done now so not much I can do about that.

Katy Cameron said...

Loving the back of the secret project :o)

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

I think your quilting i fantastic!

Carla said...

Your quilting is just amazing! And on a little machine. There is hope for me yet!

Lucy | Charm About You said...

Ok you just make me sick ;)
The fmq is amazing... Someone definitely needs to give you a longarm! The cross stitch is incredible!! So beautiful! X

Catherine said...

Amazing quilting Jess. I also have a long term cross stitch on the go, I love picking it up every now and then

Annabella said...

Just gorgeous stitchery pokery!!

Susan at TheBoredZombie.com said...

Man, You're busy! I so love cross stitch. I do some here and there and even once started a HUGE complex pattern that might be a forever UFO. I keep it though - just in case. :)

needle and nest said...

Your cross stitching is INCREDIBLE! I did a bit of cross stitching when I was a girl, but always on a really course piece of fabric with easy-to-see holes. The fact that you have done this on linen is mind-blowing. And, of course, your quilting is amazing! I can't wait to see them finished!

Jessica said...

Ooh, love your quilting! I saw that design in Angela Walters' book. I'll be coming to you for help!

Heather D. said...

Can't wait to see that quilt! And I agree with you, LOVE wide backing fabric!

amy said...

I do so love the saturated colors! And this reminds me that I need to finish cross-stitching my son's Christmas stocking, cuz I sure didn't finish it before last Christmas...ooops...

nicole said...

Oh My FMQ! Looks fantastic! Can't wait to see the front.

CitricSugar said...

Beautiful job - especially on a regular machine! I know how hard it is to deal with large quilts on the average home-sized…

It's hard not to long for a long-arm, isn't it? lol