Sunday 26 October 2014

Blogger's Quilt Festival - Breaking Storm

I've been debating whether or not to enter the Fall 2014 Blogger's Quilt Festival, hosted by Amy of Amy's Creative Side. Most of what I've worked on in the last six months I can't share yet - but I decided I would enter a few of my recent finishes, since it is such a fun event to be part of, and I've entered every festival since starting my blog three years ago. 

My first entry is my Breaking Storm quilt, which I'm entering in the Large Quilts category. This quilt was recently published in Quilters Companion's Modern Quilts special issue, and it is still one of my favorite quilts I've made. 


This quilt was inspired by the way the sky looks at the end of a big storm, with swirling clouds and bits of sun and blue sky peeking through. It is entirely made using the traditional Snail Trail block.


This is a full twin sized quilt - it measures 72" x 96". The biggest quilt I've quilted on my domestic machine, and a brilliant learning experience. I chose to quilt the 'negative space' (the various shades of grey) with a variegated grey 40wt Aurifil thread, using a swirly/pebbly design to give it lots of texture, and then quilted the coloured areas with simple straight line FMQ.


Thanks for visiting my blog, I'm looking forward to checking out all the entries in the festival!

xx Jess

24 comments:

Carla said...

I love it! Beautiful finish Jess

Dawn said...

Gorgeous!!!

Susan said...

This is very beautiful! I love the close up shots of the quilting Jess!

Catherine said...

It is gorgeous. I love the swirly, after-the-storm colour and movement in it.

Amy's Crafty Shenanigans said...

Another beauty - I do love the snail trail xx

Cille said...

Glad you decided to enter anyway :) it a great quilt - love the colors... And the quilting too of course but that goes without saying.

Katy Cameron said...

I do love your snail trail!

sew.darn.quilt said...

Your quilt is stunning! I like the movement within.

CapitolaQuilter said...

Glad you're participating, I haven't finished much lately but want to as well. Can't wait to see what secrets you have to share later on - Breaking Storm is great with the turmoil and color placement.

Julierose said...

Your breaking Storm is lovely. I attempted that block once long ago and got so confused that I gave up. Yours really came out beautifully hugs, Julierose

Kirsten said...

Stunning quilt Jess - love the pops of orange and aqua!

Anonymous said...

I love this quilt. I hope you win a prize.

Karen H said...

I love this pattern and it is one of the first quilts I ever made. Your colour choices fit the storm theme perfectly! I wish you good luck with your entry in the Festival!

Tiffany said...

This is one of my favorites. Thanks for sharing!

heather said...

I love that block. Great color placement .

Camilla said...

Such a great design and fantastic effective colour placement!

StudioCherie said...

I love it. Glad you shared

Christine Slaughter said...

Wow! This is gorgeous!

Ginny said...

Such a gorgeous quilt! And you description of your inspiration is perfect - totally visualized it. It's beautiful!

Allie said...

Stunning - the colors are fabulous!

ipatchandquilt said...

You won, you won, you won in the large quilt category!
Truly deserved!!!
congratulations,
Esther

JanineMarie said...

Congratulations on your win! I like your unique use of snail trails to make a sky quilt. The quilting is beautiful.

Newbie Jen said...

Congratulations!! You are awesome!

Dianne said...

Hurray! someone I voted for won!!
Heartiest congratulations!