Friday 9 May 2014

Block Flower Quilt {Finished and Featured!}

I got a bit of a surprise yesterday when I was reading the latest issue of Quilters Companion magazine - my Block Flower quilt is in this month's issue #67 (obviously I realised it would be in the magazine at some stage, I just didn't realise it was in this issue.) So I can finally show you the quilt I was working on last November/December.

I took her off to our Botanical Gardens this morning for a photo shoot. When Hobart does autumn well, it does it in spectacular style. It has been a crisp, cold morning, but gloriously sunny - a beautiful morning to walk around the Gardens with quilt in tow. I did get a few strange looks while I was taking these photos ;o)



I used some of my favorite fabrics in this quilt (Good Folks and Garden Party by Anna Maria Horner, Echo by Lotta Jansdotter, Briar Rose by Heather Ross, and lots of Madrona Road by Violet Craft). It is a very spring-time palette of deep pinks, oranges, and reds with a few pops of charcoal grey.


The blocks are simple in design, but a perfect choice to use for larger scale prints.


I am really proud of what I did with the quilting on this quilt. I wanted to create an interesting secondary design with the quilting, and I think I achieved that. I used Aurifil 50wt in Dove grey - someone described this recently as a chameleon thread and it is such a good description. It has become my go-to thread for quilting low volume (light value) fabric, as it seems to blend beautifully into these fabrics, regardless of whether they are cream, white or grey based.


I did use my regular quilting ruler and a Hera marker to mark the long straight lines on the quilt top, but other than that it is all done by eye. I've used a combination of my favorite go-to swirls and pebbles, very dense matchstick quilting (these lines are less than 1/8" apart) and some other straight-line designs in and around the blocks. I loved quilting this one - although it did take a very long time (around 30-40 hours I think.) Cue close up shots of the quilting ;o)










Quilt Stats:
* Size - 80" square
* Fabric - I used a range of prints (Anna Maria Horner, Violet Craft, Lotta Jansdotter) for the flowers, low volume (light value) prints for the block backgrounds, and Kona medium grey for the sashing and border.
* Quilted - by me on my Bernina 440QE, with Aurifil 50wt light grey (Dove) thread

I will be looking for some pattern testers for this quilt pattern, so if anyone is interested please let me know. I have enough testers this time around (thankyou!) but if you'd be interested in testing patterns for me later in the year, please let me know. Several of you were no-reply bloggers, so if you don't hear back from me, it's because I can't reply. I've also decided to start thinking about making some short videos of how I quilt and putting them on You Tube. My question is, what would you guys like to see?

Linking up with Crazy Mom Quilts!

xx Jess

43 comments:

leanne said...

as I said on IG - fabulous pattern and the quilting is just sublime - love all of it - the matchstick is fantastic and looks great next to pebbles and swirls - really wonderful :)

Jessica said...

GASP. Seriously! Love! I told you I'd definitely be interested on IG :) I can imagine this pattern with some big AMH prints... <3

Ella said...

Oh, I would gladly pattern test for you!

Melinda said...

Your quilting is amazing! The "matchsticking" is something I've never seen and really effective. I can't begin to imagine the time it took you but, wow, it was worth the effort! Great quilt.

Renee said...

That quilting is so...just..it's crazy. It's beautiful and amazing, and crazy. It adds a whole new level to this quilt, you did such a fantastic job on it!

nicole said...

This is just gorgeous Jess! And your quilting is spectacular as always! I would absolutely love to see some you tube videos of your quilting!!

Unknown said...

really gorgeous, both the piecing and the quilting. in fact, the intricate 'sneaky' quilting reminds me of some Amish quilts that I've seen (yes, I'm from Lancaster, PA). I've been interested in trying my hand at more 'traditional' quilt blocks; let me know when you're ready if you need another pattern tester.

Liz said...

I'd be happy to pattern test if you need another volunteer. The pattern is great, and I think it has some nice potential for graphic contrast. Your quilting is phenomenal - beautiful job!

Newbie Jen said...

Oh Jess, it is gorgeous, and the quilting!!!

Leanne said...

I love the quilting, and the quilt, especially the colours. Your photos are beautiful too.

Kendra Watson said...

Gorgeous, well done on the publication, it must have been a lovely surprise to see your quilt there as you turned the page. I'd enjoy testing this pattern if you need an extra

CitricSugar said...

Oh, wowowwowowow!

The secondary design elements that come out in the quilting are incredible. And that is taking matchstick to a whole new level! I love matchstick and would do more of it if it didn't take so long (and I was better at stitching straight.) :-)

Mystic Quilter said...

I love the pattern and the fabrics but wow - the quilting!
I couldn't believe you had done this on the Bernina 440QE - I have the same machine so I know now what can be achieved. I also love Aurifil thread.

amy said...

Love!! Can def pattern test if you need it :) did you use your walking foot while matchstick quilting or did you free motion quilt it?

Sarah said...

I have followed your blog for awhile, but I always assumed you had a long arm until your living the dream post. In fact, I follow on feedly and when you posted this quilt, I had to click over because, I thought, this couldn't possibly be the blogger who said she does NOT have a longarm?? Is love to be considered for a pattern tester. You can find me on IG @sarahslackermom. I would love to see videos! I'm working hard at mastering (conquering?) free motion quilting on my domestic. Id love to see how you do what you do! I watch a lot of longarm videos, but they use rulers and tools I can't work with as easily. Today I'm quilting an 80" quilt myself and it has been such a beast, even relatively short lines (8") are hard to do without significant wobbles and repositioning my hands, so knowing how you handle a big quilt, and how you manage to keep everything straight (do you mark everything?) would be awesome. Oh, and that herringbone/chevron quilting you've done here is something I've never seen!! I'd love a video on that. This quilt is incredible!

mc said...

I'd love to see videos of how you quilt. It's amazing

Vicki said...

Absolutely beautiful! The quilting is spectacular. Great color choices.

ipatchandquilt said...

Gorgeous quilt! I would love to test the pattern for you, but will only be able to do so in August.... I guess that is pretty late. If for whatever reason need help in that month, please let me know!!!
I also use a DSM for all my quilting and I love it! The last month my machine is giving me problems, which I do not love! :-(
Have a great weekend,
Esther

Hayley said...

Lovely quilt and amazing quilting! I dream of being able to do something other than straight line quilting one day

MrsB said...

I absolutely love this, both the design and the quilting. I'm fairly new to quilting (but not sewing) so if you want your pattern tested from a newbie's perspective then I would love to have a go!

Serena @ Sewgiving said...

Simply gorgeous! Congratulations on having your quilt published too :) You're right about that thread, it really does disappear and all you can see is your beautiful quilting.

Wendy said...

congratulations on being published! what a gorgeous quilt. t he quilting is beautiful, 30-40 hours of quilting? wow, that's dedication!

Susan said...

Gorgeous quilt Jess! And there's some Denyse Schmidt, my favourite, in there too! More than happy to be a pattern tester down the track! Congratulations on your magazine feature too!

Lou said...

Wow!!! That looks amazing... Love love love the quilting!

Rachaeldaisy said...

What a wonderful quilt ! Your quilting is amazing, you certainly achieved your aim of a secondary design. Congratulations of your magazine appearance too!!

DeborahGun said...

it is so beautiful Jess. Your quilting is stunning as always and really compliments the design of the patchwork

Amira@littlemushroomcap said...

So beautiful Jess! The quilting is gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous. Did I mention the quilting is gorgeous? O yes it is. Great job! Congrats getting into the quilter's magazine. got get one copy to see it too and maybe make it if I have a jizzilion time I wish I have. lol

Amira@littlemushroomcap said...

So beautiful Jess! The quilting is gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous. Did I mention the quilting is gorgeous? O yes it is. Great job! Congrats getting into the quilter's magazine. got get one copy to see it too and maybe make it if I have a jizzilion time I wish I have. lol

Rachael said...

The quilting is just wow! outstanding, it totally just finishes of the whole look of the quilt!

Susie said...

A stunning quilt and quilting.

monique's mess said...

The quilting is outstanding. I love the incorporation of geometrics and line in the quilting, it makes the substle patterning and colour of blocks become something entirely differents

monique's mess said...

The quilting is outstanding. I love the incorporation of geometrics and line in the quilting, it makes the substle patterning and colour of blocks become something entirely differents

Cille said...

Wow... It's fantastic in every aspect.

Cathy said...

Fabulous! really!!!!

Anna said...

Wow! This turned out so fabulous! I love what you did with the quilting. And the setting for your pictures is stunning! Who cares if you get some funny looks, right? ;)

quilt for fun said...

This quilt is fabulous! Both the pattern and the quilting are amazing. Love it.

Joanne said...

The quilting on your quilt really does "make" this quilt. I was on your list but not able to test first time you asked. I would be happy to find myself back on your list. Fond memories of Hobart and the surrounding countryside. Joanne

Gunilla said...

Lovely quilt and absolutely amazing quilting! Lovebit!!!

Katy Cameron said...

It's absolutely gorgeous, and, as ever, I bow to your amazing quilting skills :o)

wobblybobbin said...

You have outdone yourself yet again! The pattern is very pretty, congrats on being published!
I would love to see videos of your free motion quilting.

Anonymous said...

Great quilting Jess, I love the way you have created secondary designs.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations. I really like the secondary design you created with the quilting.

I normally go to youtube videos for techniques. I like them to be slow and clear and repeated a few times.

Taya@TypeB said...

Stunning quilting! I love the block, as well. I'll be looking forward to the pattern!