So, after finishing off a VERY overdue set of bee blocks on Tuesday, I started quilt number one. I pulled this bundle of fabrics a few weeks ago, in the requested colours of blue and red. Although I love blue and red together, I wanted to add a bit more variety, so I've pulled a bunch of red-oranges, reds, navies and greenish blues. There are quite a few prints from Tsuru in there which happen to coordinate beautifully with the Lush Uptown prints I've pulled, along with some Denyse Schmidt and others. I've already culled a few of these, and will more than likely add some different prints but you probably get an idea of the palette :o)
My initial thought was to make a Swoon quilt (still on my bucket list after abandoning my first Swoon efforts), but it didn't feel quite the right choice though for my brother and his fiance. After a bit of brainstorming I started making some Maple Leaf blocks, since the soon to be married pair actually met while they were working in Canada.
I'm almost done with the next three blocks as well, and I'm planning a 5x5 layout, so I'm almost a quarter of the way there (so I'm thinking I will retain some level of sanity by the end). I'm not sure how much more of this quilt I'll share before it's finished - I'm pretty sure the recipients don't ever read here, but I might have to make certain first.
I have actually re-sized these blocks to 15", and I will be sharing my process tomorrow for this week's Decipher Your Quilt post.