Do you ever have projects on your to-do list that you know won't take very long, but continually get ignored in favour of more exciting things? Yeah, me too. Case in point my ironing board cover.
It's been in need of replacing for at least six months, and last night I finally got sick of the disgusting (and well caramelised) cover I've been using.
The replacement cover took less than an hour from start to finish. It is a total slap-dash job (I made it up as I went along), but it works so it's all good. I traced around my ironing board onto the fabric, about 3" away from the edge and cut it out. I then sandwiched 1/4" elastic in some 1" premade bias binding, and closed the binding as I sewed it around the edge of the cover fabric. I actually ran out of the bias binding, so the bottom of the cover isn't pretty, but it fits quite well and it sits flat for the most part. For the padding, I used the old padding as a pattern and cut a double layer of bamboo batting. The fabric I used is actually uncoated curtain fabric from Terry's fabrics and was wide enough that I only needed about 1/2 yard. A bit of an improvement, me thinks.
So I guess this is a lesson to myself to not put off those boring but quick jobs. My sewing space will be a whole lot more attractive now :o)