Monday 29 June 2015

Ripple (Finished and Featured!)

A few weeks ago, I promised to show you a couple of quilts that have recently appeared in magazines. The quilt I'm sharing today can be found in the Spring issue of Modern Patchwork (that came out in, ahem, April. That's recent, right?) This is Ripple - she's a 96" square beast and was a wee bit tricky to get a full photograph of. 

 
I would have really loved to free motion quilt this quilt, but I decided to save my shoulders and use my walking foot because of the massive size. It was a sensible decision - this is the biggest quilt I've made, and even walking foot quilting it was pretty tricky with the 7.5" throat space in my machine. I ended up quilting a rectangular crosshatch across the diamond design, but only extended the lines out in one direction into the background rather than cross hatching across the whole quilt. I really like the effect, and the texture is lovely. I used wool batting, so it has a little bit of puff and is incredibly warm and snuggly.


This quilt has quickly become our favorite bed quilt. I think I'll be making another version of this quilt from my scrap basket later this year. I'm in desperate need of using some of my scraps, and I'm thinking a rainbow version would be pretty cool (and I'm pretty sure miss 4 would agree)!

I'm hoping I'll be back later this week to share some of what I've been working on lately, and some quilts that my students have been making in the classes I've been teaching so far this year :o)

xx Jess


10 comments:

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

I can definitely understand your hesitation to try to FMQ such a large quilt. The walking foot straight lines compliment the pattern really well, and I agree that a rainbow scrap version would be a delight! :)

Renee said...

Oooh it looks lovely! Great collection of blues and neutrals, I bet it will look fabulous all scrappy too!

Doreen said...

Love the whole design.....the colors are perfect, too!!!! That one would work with so many combos!!!!!

Kirsten said...

This is so beautiful Jess - blue and white are such a fresh colour combo and I love your quilting!

Susan said...

What a great quilt Jess! I can see why it is now a favourite!

Swedish Scrapper said...

Beautiful! The rectangular cross hatching is genius. I'll admit that your great name for the quilt has me humming an old Grateful Dead song, and happily at that!

Swedish Scrapper said...

Beautiful! The rectangular cross hatching is genius. I'll admit that your great name for the quilt has me humming an old Grateful Dead song, and happily at that!

Swedish Scrapper said...

Beautiful! The rectangular cross hatching is genius. I'll admit that your great name for the quilt has me humming an old Grateful Dead song, and happily at that!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Very pretty. So.... scraps eh? Too bad you don't live closer - I bet I could help you with that lol

Katy Cameron said...

I think you've just nailed why I don't FMQ my quilts, I always make hugemungous feckers like this one :oD Looks great though :o)