Friday 23 January 2015

Starburst Quilt (Finished and Featured)

I am so excited to finally be able to share this quilt with you - I made it midway through last  year, and it's one of my all-time favorite finishes, so I've been very impatiently waiting for it to be published so I can share it! It appears in Quilters Companion No. 71, which came out yesterday.

Ever since making this quilt, I'd been wanting to make another quilt using the same block design, but using colours that are more 'me'. It's essentially made using the traditional Dutch Rose block (or Carpenters Star), but I've added an extra star in the centre, to give the block a bit more interest.


I don't think it's any great secret that I'm a massive fan of Tula Pink's designs, and this quilt is sort of an ode to Tula - all the print fabrics are from her collections (mostly from a fat eighth bundle of Fox Fields, but with a few pieces from Nightshade, The Birds and the Bees and Neptune thrown in) and I love how they work so beautifully together. It was such a fun quilt to put together, and I'm planning on making another (bigger version) using this pattern - I just need to decide what fabric to use :o)


I quilted it using Aurifil 50 wt in various colours - threads from Tula Pink's Aurifil collection for the coloured fabrics, and soft white (2021) in all the background. I quilted fairly large, loose designs on this quilt, so it is beautifully drapey but still has lots of texture. I wanted to accentuate the sense of the stars exploding outward with straight line quilting within the stars, and then contrast that with the curvy designs in the rest of the background. I really like this combination of quilting, and I'm finding I'm using it more and more on my quilts.



This quilt finishes at 64" square, so it's the perfect size for snuggling under on the couch (and despite it being summer here, there have been many snuggling opportunities in the last few months!)


The back is one of my favorite Tula prints, with some coordinating prints down each side to bring it up to size. I love the back almost as much as the front :o)


I am looking for testers for this pattern if anyone is interested - it will be available in two sizes (lap and queen), so if you'd like to test for me please let me know :o) I'll be teaching this block as a class at Frangipani Fabrics later this year, too.

xx Jess

24 comments:

Shanley said...

Gorgeous!

Lou said...

That's absolutely stunning I love the fabric choice and design! And I'd love to be a pattern tester too! 2015 is my year of firsts and I've never tested patterns before (although I have used them!).

Annabella said...

Stunning!!*yawn* One day I'll be able to change the record and say something different. Not! I love that block and the TP fabrics look beautiful. SHe's so clever at how the colours in her prints work so perfectly together. Beautiful beautiful!

Ruth said...

Quilting is gorgeous! Looks great and I like what you've chosen for the back too!

DeborahGun said...

Just beautiful :-) I love seeing how your quilting compliments the design of the piecing.

Charlotte said...

it's gorgeous!

Leanne said...

I love carpenter's stars, and this is a lovely pattern with the star too.

ChronicBabe - Jenni Grover said...

What's involved in being a pattern tester? :)

Archie The Wonder Dog said...

It's beautiful!

Katie said...

I love it! I'd like to be a pattern tester.

Renee said...

It's beautiful! Love the mixture of quilt quilting, and all the Tula Pink together!

Katy Cameron said...

Oooh, Tula-tastic! I'd love to test it for you, but right now I'm not committing to any deadlines that aren't already in the calendar so that I'm not stuck in the house all the time - I would get it done, but possibly not for a few months!

Unknown said...

Jess I work full time so if your class is in the evening or weekend I'm a starter.

Dawn said...

Love the pattern and if you need another pattern tester I'm available. I retired at the end of December and have LOTS of time to sew.

Unknown said...

I'd love to be a pattern tester for you!

leanne said...

really gorgeous quilt Jess - love the Tula Pink and love the carpenters star - so excited to see it in QC too!

Ella said...

Love this! Wish I could test all of yours!

Lyndalee said...

I would like to be a tester. I'm available after March 22. I have a commitment till then. I'm an experienced FMQ. I love carpenters square.

Swedish Scrapper said...

I love how you made this more you! Fabulous fabrics together, and a really super pattern!

Michele said...

It is just gorgeous.

Unknown said...

I thin that I would enjoy being a pattern tester. I love every quilt that you do!

moira said...

beautiful. I have mixed feelings about Tula's designs but definitely growing on me.

pandchintz said...

It's lovely Jess, congratulations!

Amy said...

If you need any more pattern testers I'd love to test for you!!! I absolutely love this pattern and this quilt!!!!