Sunday 19 October 2014

Starjump Quilt Top

I thought this quilt was going to take me a bit longer to finish - but a couple of marathon sewing sessions over the last few nights and it is done!


I am SO in love with this quilt. It has been such an enjoyable journey putting it together and seeing all the secondary patterns emerge. Although it is a pretty restricted colour palette (teal, yellow/ochre, black/grey and purple/cerise) I've used a huge range of fabrics in here - a few prints from Jungle Ave, some Cotton and Steel basics, lots of Micro Mod prints (these were the inspiration for the whole quilt), some Denyse Schmidt (I don't think I've made a single quilt without at least one of her fabrics) and a few others. Despite the restricted palette, I think because I've used a range of hues within each colour family, it is quite a dynamic quilt.


I basted it tonight, and am using a long hoarded print for the back - it's been waiting for the perfect quilt, and I think I've found it ;o) This print is from Alexander Henry's Mecca for Modern collection and I had exactly the right sized piece for this quilt. It was obviously meant to be.



I'm hoping to get this quilted fairly quickly - I'd love to enter it into the Blogger's Quilt Festival (although that may be slightly ambitious!!) I am also writing this one up as a pattern at the moment, so hopefully I'll release it by the end of the year (once it's tested etc).

xx Jess


14 comments:

Michele said...

Really nice and I can't wait to see how you decide to quilt it.

Renee said...

The top looks awesome! I can't wait wait to see how you quilt it!

Lucy | Charm About You said...

It is glorious!! Love the colours and the pattern is amazing!

Katy Cameron said...

It looks fab, and the back was definitely meant to be.

amy said...

This is positively gorgeous!!! I love the color palette!

Catherine said...

Its a gorgeous quilt top!

Lisa said...

LOVE! Your colour palette really speaks to me - and the backing is absolutely perfect. This is going to be one very gorgeous finished quilt!!!

Susan said...

I wonder whether you had that fabric in the very back of your mind when you chose the palette for this quilt! They were made for one another! (I have always loved that Alexander Henry print! I have started looking for it again...) I am looking forward to getting to know this pattern a bit more closely!

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Beautiful design and colors; it looks like the backing fabric was the inspiration!

Farm Quilter said...

Great quilt!!! Love the colors you used!!! You really did a fabulous job on this one and I can't wait to see how you quilt it!!!

Vicki said...

Very, very pretty! The colors are beautiful.

Jodi Godfrey said...

It reminds me of bathroom tiles. In the best way possible! I'm one of those people who sits and stares at tiles trying to make out the patterns and repeat. It was one of my earliest signs of a quilter in the making! I could just stare at your quilt all day! :)

Anonymous said...

Great effort. I love seeing back-lit quilt tops, like the top picture, it always reminds me of stained glass windows. That backing fabric will look great.

Joanna @ Riddle and {Whimsy} said...

That backing fabric was just meant to be!