Wednesday 16 April 2014

Something blue, something new and something take two

After a frantic couple of weeks finishing up my Maple Leaf quilt (which is very well loved I'm happy to say!) I decided to take things a bit more slowly and start a needle turn applique project. I'm entering this year's Umbrella Prints Trimmings Challenge for the first time, and my packet of loveliness arrived last Friday. If you're interested in joining the challenge, you can find all the details on the Umbrella Prints blog (and I'm happy to say I've convinced a few IG peeps to join in the fun!) 


I ordered the blue trimmings, with an idea in mind - and they were perfect for what I had planned, so I jumped in almost immediately (hence the blue and new). I hand-drew tear-drop shapes using a silver gel pen, and then needle turn appliqued them onto very light grey background prints/solids (kind of improv applique if there is such a thing?!?). There are a few really tiny pieces that are too small to applique (they are more of a home dec weight) so I'll add those in when I put the blocks together.


I also finished putting together my Marcelle Medallion V2 centre block and added the first border. It took me a couple of hours to decide on this border print, but I'm really pleased with this choice. I desperately wanted to use it in one of the borders, and because I only had a fat quarter it was now or never.


My kids start school holidays tomorrow, so I'm not sure how much sewing will happen for the next two weeks, but I'll pop in here when I can. 

xx Jess

Linking up with Lee at Freshly Pieced.





14 comments:

Heather @ Winding Bobbins said...

I've been admiring your raindrop blocks on IG. SO cute!

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

You tear drops are so sweet and I loved the fussy cutting. Your block is gorgeous.

Renee said...

I seriously love where you are going with the umbrella prints! Maybe it is my love of aqua/teals and raindrops.

DeborahGun said...

really lovely projects. Those blue scraps are gorgeous :-)

ipatchandquilt said...

The raindrops are fabulous! Love them!!!
I adore the ruler border, just perfect!!!
Esther

Charlotte said...

love the raindrops!

Benta AtSLIKstitches said...

Needle turn? That's so neat! I really struggle with that. We're nearing the end of our Easter hols :-( back to school (= back to work) on Tuesday so my all day playtime is coming to an end

Jess @ Scrappy n Happy said...

Love the raindrops! And the border fabric you picked looks great :)

sarah elizabeth :: {no} hats said...

Happy you picked the yellow! Pretty sure IG ate my comment on that post, but at least it didn't interfere with my jumping on the umbrella prints bandwagon :) We ordered ours last week so I think they should be in the mail by now (fingers crossed they don't take too long to make their way here, because I have big plans for those little scraps!) Looking forward to seeing the finish :)

Anonymous said...

I love both projects!

Archie The Wonder Dog said...

Two gorgeous projects!

Katy Cameron said...

Ooh, very nice :o) My entry is about 4/5 of the way done on the UP comp.

Katie said...

What a fun project -- thanks for letting us know about it, those trimmings packs are very tempting for sure.

Catherine said...

I love your tiny little raindrops