Tuesday, 27 September 2011

Zoo Quilt #1

A friend of mine asked me to make a quilt for her sister who (was) having a baby. I finished the quilt last night, and bub was born this morning so it was awesome timing really!

 The design brief was pretty simple - not girly (as her sister isn't really into girly girl, plus they didn't know the sex of the baby), and something with animals and bugs. I had a bundle of Urban Zoologie by Ann Kelle (and some coordinating Kona solids) in my stash and it fit the bill perfectly, so I went ahead and created. I ended up making A LOT of blocks (something like 60...) so I actually put together two quilt tops for her to choose from (plus a few left over for a third quilt). This is the one she chose:

Its a bit hard to see from the photos (taken in a rush as my baby had a very brief sleep) but I quilted it using a variegated blue thread. And I ran out of the blue, green and orange in the quilt top, so had to make a dash to Spotlight to grab some binding fabric - its a darker blue than in the top, but works really well with the bahama blue. The backing fabric is some minty-green solid I had stashed and I really love the combination with the binding. I love the fact that this quilt doesn't really have a right-way-up, since the animals run every way across the fabric.

I am a little sad I've used up all my urban zoo stash in the bermuda colourway - I LOVE the colours in this range. But I have another two quilts to finish off using these fabrics, so stay tuned! All three are quite different, despite using similar blocks...

No comments: