Monday, 7 March 2016

Binalong {An almost finished quilt!}

I'm excited to share a new (and almost finished!) quilt with you today - the next installment in AGF Stitched (a collaboration between Art Gallery Fabrics and the Fat Quarter Shop). I made two quilts for AGF Stitched last year (Fractal and Welded) and they were both such fun projects to make, I jumped at the chance to participate again this year. I'm a huge fan of Art Gallery Fabrics (they are divine to work with), and the simple, graphic nature of this quilt design really appealed to me. Blithe is a free quilt pattern, and there is even a YouTube video to teach you how to make the blocks!


 I'm pleased to introduce you to my version of the Blithe quilt - a quilt I'm naming Binalong. I'm pretty sure this is the first quilt I've made that is essentially different shades and tints of a single colour, but I think it works quite well. This quilt design instantly made me think of waves and water, so I chose Cozumel Blue (an amazing rich aqua/teal solid) for the background along with a whole host of aqua, teal and blue fabrics from various Art Gallery collections. I sorted them by value, and planned the placement to give the quilt a sense of moving up through the sea.



I'm making this quilt for my 8 year old son, who loves all things beachy. And the colours are definitely reminiscent of our yearly holiday destination - Binalong Bay on the east coast of Tasmania. My son already has several quilts, but he's a bit of a fan of building a quilt nest on his bed - and as the weather is descending into Autumn I figure another layer on his bed won't hurt ;o).


The quilt top came together ridiculously quickly (I didn't time it precisely, but it was around 8 hours of sewing to put it together). I used triangles on a roll for the first time to make the HSTs for this quilt, and they certainly make it quick to put HSTs together! The quilting has been really fast as well. I decided to continue the sea theme and combine organic straight lines following the angle of the HSTs with some improv free motion quilting. I'm using a variegated pale blue Aurifil thread (40wt) for all the quilting. I've kept the quilting wide-spaced, so the quilt is beautifully drapey and soft - and I'm looking forward to seeing what the texture is like once it's washed. 


If you'd like to make your own version of Blithe, the Fat Quarter Shop have put together a kit featuring Chalk and Paint by Sew Caroline. This quilt finishes up at about 54" x 72" so it's a great size for a lap quilt. I'm hoping to finish the rest of the quilting later this week, and get the binding sewn on soon - I have a very impatient child asking me when it will be finished!!

I'll be back very soon with a free block tutorial and to share some of my student's work :o)

xx Jess






17 comments:

Michele said...

I really like it....both the pattern and the colors you used. It definitely brings visions of the Carribean.

Yvonne @ Quilting Jetgirl said...

Oh, I am a huge fan of the color gradient you did in this quilt, Jess! It is fantastic. I also really love the free motion quilting you are doing and how it adds to the water feel of the entire quilt top.

Erica said...

This is amazing! I always love seeing your take on patterns - you always do something fun and interesting!

Ella said...

Love the quilting on it!

desertskyquilts said...

The pattern link had this extra: https://www.blogger.com/:
When I took that out, I could get to the pattern .pdf.

Thanks so much for showing your beautiful quilt. I like the bubbles and swirls parts because that really does give it that underwater feel and the prints seem like bits of seaweed or coral or jellyfish - something floating in the water. Your son should be very happy with this one!

Lisa J. said...

What a great bubbly ocean like quilt.

Laurie Haynes said...

Hands down this is TOTALLY my favorite Blithe quilt from all those see on various blogs... LOVE your fabric decisions. Well done, just beautiful :)

Cheryl said...

I love how you took the pattern and made it your own, the gradient and the quilting are wonderful.

LeAnne said...

Beautiful! And the quilting is perfect.

Daniela said...

I really like the gradient of this quilt and modern look of using a color background. Very pretty!!

Judy said...

That quilt makes a statement! It needs to be on a beach!! I love how you went from lighter to dark, a wonderful quilt. My daughter loves aqua so I think it's my inspiration!

OhioLori said...

Very different take on this Pattern! Beautiful job!! Lucky Son too! :)

Clare Burrow said...

NEW! Now You Can Stop Your Break Up, Divorce or Lovers Rejection…Even If Your Situation Seems Hopeless! My husband said he no longer loved me at the end of January this year and i was hurt and heart broken i felt like my life was about to end and I almost committed suicide, I was emotionally down for a very long time. Thanks to a spell caster called Dr Frank Ojo, which I meet online, on one faithful day, as I was browsing through the internet and I came across a lot of testimonies about this particular spell caster. Some people testified that he brought their Ex lover back, some testified that he restores womb, cure cancer and other sickness, some testified that he can cast a spell to stop divorce and so on. I also come across one particular testimony and it was about a woman called Sonia, she testified about how he brought back her Ex lover in less than 2 days and at the end of her testimony she dropped Dr Frank Ojo mail address. After reading all these,I decided to give it a try and I contacted him via email and explained my problem to him. In just 48 hours, my husband came back to me and we solved our issues, we are even happier than before. Dr Frank Ojo is really a gifted man and I will not stop testifying about him because he is a wonderful man and so powerful... If you have any problem and you are looking for solution to solve all your problems. Great Dr Frank Ojo can also offer any types of help like Reuniting of marriage and relationship, Curing of all types of Diseases, Court Cases, Pregnancy Spell, Spiritual protection,winning of lottery and lot's more. you can contact him on his Email address: Templeofloveandprosperity@gmail.com ,or call his mobile number: +2348072370762, if you have any problem contact him, I give you 100% guarantee that he will help you. Name: Clare Burrow, From:UK.

Archie the wonder dog said...

Stunning!

Kirsten said...

Gorgeous quilt Jess - love the colours and your amazing quilting!

Afton Warrick said...

The continuity the straight lines provides in the background really works well. The improv curved shapes gives a water current feel.

Wendy Owen said...

Testimony By Wendy Owen ,How to get your ex back fast!

I was hurt and heart broken when a very big problem occurred in my marriage seven months ago, between me and my husband . so terrible that he took the case to court for a divorce. he said that he never wanted to stay with me again,and that he didn't love me anymore.So he packed out of the house and made me and my children passed through severe pain. I tried all my possible means to get him back,after much begging,but all to no avail.and he confirmed it that he has made his decision,and he never wanted to see me again. So on one evening,as i was coming back from work,i met an old friend of mine who asked of my husband .So i explained every thing to him,so he told me that the only way i can get my husband back,is to visit a spell caster,because it has really worked for him too.So i never believed in spell,but i had no other choice,than to follow his advice. Then he gave me the Email address of the spell caster whom he visited. Templeofloveandprosperity@gmail.com. So the next morning,i sent a mail to the address he gave to me,and the spell caster assured me that i will get my husband back the next day. What an amazing statement!! I never believed,so he spoke with me, and told me everything that i need to do. Then the next morning, So surprisingly, my husband who didn't call me for the past 7 months, gave me a call to inform me that he was coming back. So Amazing!! So that was how he came back that same day,with lots of love and joy,and he apologized for his mistake,and for the pain he caused me and my children. Then from that day,our relationship was now stronger than how it were before,by the help of a spell caster. So, i will advice you out there if you have any problem contact Dr Frank Ojo, i give you 100% guarantee that he will help you.. Email him at: Templeofloveandprosperity@gmail.com ,or visit his Web site to know more about him: http://africatemple.yolasite.com ,and i lives in United Kingdom. Thank you sooooo much!!!