Wednesday 3 February 2016

Aviatrix Medallion - Log Cabin Quilting

Our kids started back at school today (new school for my youngest two, and they both had an awesome day which is a real relief!), and I didn't have to work. Naturally I grabbed the chance to have a day in the 'studio' aka garage. I made some pretty good progress on my Aviatrix quilting - the log cabin border is so close to being finished! 


At this stage, I've mostly quilted the white parts using Aurifil 50wt in Dove (the same thread I've used in all the white and neutral areas of the quilt). I'm debating whether to go back and do a bit more quilting with coloured thread in the coloured logs. I quite like how puffy they are, but considering how densely quilted the centre part of the quilt is, I'm a bit worried these blocks look too sparsely quilted in comparison.


I don't think I'll make a decision until I've quilted the butterflies. It might be good to have one less densely quilted border. I don't know! I must admit it's getting more challenging to keep this quilt square as I move out toward the last borders. I'm being super careful about ditch stitching each block as I move around each border, and I'm fairly confident I'll be able to quilt it into submission. I think there'll be some serious blocking going on once it's all done though!


 Now that I've got a bit of daytime, kid-free sewing time again, I'm hoping I'll knock over the rest of the quilting on this over the next week or so.

I hope you're all having a great week!

xx Jess

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you do end up blocking this quilt, can you post about how to do that? I don't even know where to start...

Thanks

Quilt Granny said...

I love to see pics of this quilt. I am almost finished piecing it. All that's left is the final 2 1/2" grey border...then I have to decide how to quilt it. Looking forward to seeing a larger photo of yours when it's done.

Leanne said...

This quilt is so beautiful, and the quilting is just making it even better.

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

Blocking a quilt can make all the difference. I agree about waiting to see how the next borders quilt up before deciding to go back on the log cabins. That is one of the really nice things about quilting on a domestic - it is much easier to see the whole work and step back and think about quilting decisions!

Stacey @slostudio said...

This is so gorgeous and is getting better and better!

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

So beautiful! xxxx

Ella said...

It's gorgeous. I've never blocked a quilt. Is it difficult?

Rosemary B❤️ said...

Jess, this looks beautiful

Charlotte said...

wowser!

Swedish Scrapper said...

Way! I agree, this just keeps getting better! It's also love to see pics if you do end up needing to block it :)

Michele said...

I really like this one and can't wait to see the finish.

leanne said...

just beautiful Jess !

Archie The Wonder Dog said...

Stunning!