Friday 25 September 2015

Welded Quilt {AGF Stitched}

Over the last couple of weeks I've been working pretty solidly on a new quilt. This is the third installment in the AGF Stitched series, a joint project between The Fat Quarter Shop and Art Gallery Fabrics. This quilt is called Welded, and it is another really fast quilt to put together :o)


As soon as I saw this quilt design, I decided it would be perfect for my eldest son's upcoming eleventh birthday. It's a great masculine design, and it uses large pieces of fabric so there's lots of opportunity to use large scale prints.


I've used fabric from several Art Gallery collections - the background text fabric is one of my all-time favorites (from Cherie designed by Frances Newcombe). The rest of the fabrics are from Utopia (Frances Newcombe), Curiosities (Jeni Baker), Happy Home (Caroline Hulse) and Imprint (Katarina Roccella). I love this mix of prints and colours - and I think my son will love it too :o)


I had originally intended to keep the quilting simple on this quilt (famous last words, right?) - but as you can see that idea went out of the window pretty quickly! I haven't actually finished the quilting yet, but you probably get the idea of where it's going from these photos...


 I started by quilting the background areas using Aurifil 50wt dove grey thread (the magic blending thread!), creating a square 'border' around each of the navy blue squares. It took me a while to decide what to do in the other coloured squares (orange, yellow and green etc), but I eventually decided to quilt a star type design, with pebbles radiating out from the centre of the blocks. I LOVE the texture in these parts of the quilt - although it was that decision that took this from quick and simple quilting, to something that is taking hours. All worth it though, I think!


I'm now in the process of going back and quilting each of the navy blocks, just using simple straight lines in varying widths. I will also quilt the turquoise corner stones at some stage soon. I was a bit worried that all this quilting would detract from the quilt design - but I think because I've used blending thread and kept it to just a few designs (essentially straight lines and pebbles) it works quite well. This is still a really soft and drapey quilt, despite all the quilting - possibly due to the amazing quality of Art Gallery Fabric I think?


If you'd like to make your own Welded quilt, you can find the free pattern here, and there is a video tutorial available too! The Fat Quarter Shop also have a complete quilt kit available, using Pat Bravo's Etno collection.

I hope you have a fantastic weekend! School holidays kick off today for two weeks, so I don't expect to get much sewing done - but I'm really looking forward to having my small people at home :o)

xx Jess



16 comments:

Anita C said...

AMAZING!

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

Happy birthday to your son! The quilting is delicious, as usual, and I especially love the pops of orange in the top.

Christina Lane | The Sometimes Crafter said...

I just love the quilting you did on this!

Kim B. said...


This is just absolutely stunning- the color combination, the shapes, and the quilting. well done!

Quilts By Laurel said...

Love your colors and especially the quilting! Gorgeous! :)

Gemini Jen NZ said...

Your quilting is absolutely terrific! What a beautiful quilt.

KatheG said...

Beautiful!

Rosa said...

The quilting is just awesome!

JANET said...

LOVE your quilt and the quilting is fantastic!

Sarah said...

Wow, your quilting is exquisite! sarah@forrussia.org

Pamela said...

I love your fabric choices and gorgeous quilting!

Zenia Rene said...

Very nice Jess. Is your fmq done on domestic? It's quite lovely indeed.

Cyndi said...

Your Quilting is amazing. Beautiful.

Cindy said...

This is my favorite of the quilts I've seen with this pattern. The colors just pop! The quilting is wonderful too. cdahlgren at live dot com

Unknown said...

Lovely work Jess. No wonder Deb Louie praised your work in her latest article in Quilters Companion. I am filled with envy!

Unknown said...

Hi everyone!!!HOW I GOT MY WIFE BACK/MY BABY WITH THE HELP OF Dr. AHMED
I have being married to my wife for the past 3yeras and 9months we have obviously being living fine for those past few years. but the problem i was having was that i havent being able to impregnate her because i thought i had a low sperm count,i had being visiting many hospital done various of test and samples but to no avail because all they could tell me was that am perfectly fine but i know that i am not fine my wife has being becoming impatient because i havent being able to impregnate her after so many years. Things got worst each day, every seconds of my life i always think of what next to do because am being fed of me being incapable. i have come accross so many health attendant who normally tell me that i have no problem. but i know that am sincerly not ok. One faithful evening when i came online in search of some people testified that he brought their Ex lover back, some testified that he restores womb, cure cancer, and other sickness, some testified that he can cast a spell to stop divorce and so on. i also come across one particular testimony, it was about a woman called Cora, she testified about how he brought back her Ex lover in less than 2 days, he is the answer to all your problem. that is how they got help from Dr Ahmed, their wife back, how they got their husband back, how they got their low sperm on high rate with the help of Dr Ahmed i had to quickly get his email/phone number on line and contact him as soon as i could because i needed help urgently we had some talk and what i will do to get my self ok. he told me that all i had do is to get some items for purifcation and cleansing, i did all of those and thanks to Dr Ahmed am perfectly fine and my wife has given birth to Twins of the same sex all thanks to Dr Ahmed for his wounderful help... Contact.: E-mail: Ahmedutimate@gmail.com or call/Whats-app: +2348160153829.....
Willie B. Garcia from UK