Hi, my name is Jess, and I'm a fabriholic. The time has come for an intervention. For real.
Just to put things in perspective, I have been quilting for a bit over two years. This is my stash as of a few months ago (it currently looks nothing like this, just so you know. It's back to its normal level of chaos.) I think you might understand now why I feel the need for a complete fabric diet.
Some of you may remember my pledge at the beginning of this year not to buy fabric during 2013. Admittedly I did last four months before falling off the wagon, and I have been far more restrained than last year, but still. I think it would take me half a life time to sew my way through these shelves of fabric.
So. The intervention. After a prolonged Instagram conversation a few weeks ago, Rebecca and I decided to make a pact not to buy fabric in 2014. I'm embarrassed to admit this is already making me break out in a cold sweat (and I'm not really joking.) This is an official ban, and we have rules.
- To use the Stash I already have!
- Finish UFOs without distraction by shifting to other new beautiful fabric.
- Stop the insanity of constantly buying the latest and greatest fabric.
- Save the $$ I spend on stashing. For me, this is going to mean I start saving for a long arm. That dream simply isn't going to happen while I spend every little bit of my quilty earnings on fabric. And it's a dream I desperately want to happen.
- Destash the fabrics that I realize I am never going to use.
FABRIC FAST RULES:
1) No fabric purchases for 6 months beginning .
2) At 6 months reevaluate status and decide whether to keep going for full year. Evaluation .
3) Create a UFO list and complete them!
- Backing: purchasing a backing to finish a quilt top is permissible. However, attempting to use fabric in your possession for a backing is preferable.
- Books and Magazine purchases are allowed as they are not fabric. Notions acceptable too.
- Swap Mama Fabric: if hosting a swap you are permitted to by fabric to execute swap duties, but you may not join a swap simply for the sake of being able to buy fabric!
- Quilts for Publication: if you are making a quilt for a publication and need certain fabric to execute it correctly then that is a major exception - who can blame you?
If you are like us and would like to commit to not buying fabric next year, we would love the moral support. Solidarity in numbers and all that. We have a button you can grab: