Tuesday 22 October 2013

Low volume wonky crosses

A couple of weeks ago, I splurged and bought a second sample pack from Maze & Vale. I had been regularly pulling my first one out trying to figure out what I wanted to do, so when Leslie posted on Facebook that she had just listed a few low volume sample packs, I nabbed one pretty quickly. I think the thing I really love about these packs are that they have a wonderful range of base cloth in them - from linen to canvas to really high thread count cotton (possibly sateen? They are a bit shiny anyway.) Plus the hand prints themselves are just gorgeous.

When it arrived I started to have a few ideas about what I'd like to do with them. Ever since seeing Sarah's AMAZING low volume forest quilt (seriously go have a look. It is unbelievably gorgeous.) I've been wanting to make a (mostly) low volume quilt. I love my super saturated colours, but really wanted to push myself out of my comfort zone and make something really subdued. To me it's a really beachy palette; sand, rocks and waves. The top row here are all the Maze and Vale handprints, and the bottom are a bunch of lower volume fabrics from my stash.


After all the precision involved in making my Marcelle and now Midnight at the Oasis, I was really craving some improv piecing. I haven't done wonky crosses before so I thought I'd have a play making those to start with (and they are seriously fun. And addictive.) Once I got going I added a couple of Echo prints, since they have the same hand-print feel and the colours are perfect.



I'm not quite sure where I'm headed with these still - but we have a lot of freshly painted bare walls that need decoration, so I'm thinking it will end up a smallish wall quilt for our dining area. 

In other news, I finally got the binding on my Full Moon Lagoon quilt and washed it today so I'm hoping for some decent photo weather tomorrow so it's ready for the big reveal for Blogger's Quilt Festival on Friday :o)

xx Jess

16 comments:

Kelly said...

Love those blocks Jess - it is going to be a stunner with those gorgeous fabrics!

knottygnome said...

lovely! those hand-prints are gorgeous.

dutchcomfort said...

Your wonky improv crosses will be so beautiful!!

Sharon said...

These look so fun. I like the cross shape and the low volume prints have a neat look.

Deborah said...

Love the idea of these blocks with the low volume. I can understand your need to "improv" now.

Debbie said...

wherever you're going, I like it!!

Vicki said...

What a bunch of yummy fabrics! Looks to me like you are off to a really good start.

Heather D. said...

Looking great so far Jess!

And thanks for the reminder of quilt festival this Friday. It always sneaks up on me!!

Jessica said...

Ah-maz-ing. I love the wonky crosses - you are so tempting me lately! Also, the seahorse quilt will be PERFECT for the blogger's quilt festival! Which category are you entering? Machine quilting?

Katy Cameron said...

Love those fabrics! Looking forward to the big reveal, thanks for the reminder about Friday...

DeborahGun said...

love these Jess - they look great :-)

sarah elizabeth :: {no} hats said...

First of all you had me at that luscious low volume fabric pull, so the mention in the text was just the proverbial cherry on top ;)

P.S. QUITE excited for your lagoon reveal! Remind me to enter a different category as there's no competing with your brilliance, friend! :D

Anonymous said...

The colours are great, the wonky crosses are great, but I'm the block with three rays is just stunning

Nat at Made in Home said...

Love the blocks!

Rebecca Lynne said...

Omg I love maze and vale! Jealous!!! Get that fabric now girl... I'm stocking up for my MATO and am trying to keep myself from going crazy on stashing unnecessary lovelies!!! Agh!

Rebecca Lynne said...

Omg I love maze and vale! Jealous!!! Get that fabric now girl... I'm stocking up for my MATO and am trying to keep myself from going crazy on stashing unnecessary lovelies!!! Agh!