Sunday 2 June 2013

Announcing the Colour Theory for Quilters Series

Following on from my post about value a few weeks ago, I'm really excited to announce a blog series I'll be running in June on Colour Theory for Quilters. Well actually, not me precisely - I've asked a bunch of far more knowledgeable bloggers to guest post on a variety of topics to do with Colour Theory.

The idea for this series came about out of a frustration at not being able to find a whole lot of information on how to use colour when I had just started quilting a couple of years ago. There is a tonne of information out there on the basics (definitions, colour wheel etc) but very little linking it to the practical stuff - how to choose a palette and fabrics to make a visually interesting quilt.

The people I've asked to guest post in this series know their stuff – they are people who have either been learning about various colour theory concepts through their local MQG or who have background in art, or who have simply done a lot of research as part of designing their own quilts. I'm really excited about presenting this, and about learning a bit more about colour. 

The schedule for the theory posts is:

 1.  Using the Colour Wheel and Understanding Colour Terminology – Monday 10th June
Guest Post by Molli at Molli Sparkles 

   2.       Colour Harmony – Monday 17th June
Guest Post by Jess of Quilty Habit

3.       Colour Context – Monday 24th June

4.       Value, including low volume – Monday 1st July

At the end of these posts, I've asked a few prominent quilters (who use colour exceptionally well) to give an insight into how they find colour inspiration for their quilts, how they choose fabric, and a bit about their process when designing. These will run in the week starting Monday 8th July. 

Monday 8th July - Amy (Badskirt)
Tuesday 9th July – Jeannette (Heidi Gone Aussie) 
Wednesday 10th July – Alison (Little Island Quilting)
Thursday 11th July – Joanna (Shapemoth)
Friday 12th July – Julianna (Sewing under rainbow)

I hope you'll join me in what I think will be an inspirational and informative series of posts :o) 

Also, a massive thank you to everyone who voted for my Retro Flowers quilt in the Blogger's Quilt Festival. I won my category! Congratulations to all the other bloggers who won, and to Amy for organising it once again - it was a fantastic festival.

xx Jess

  

19 comments:

Jess @ Scrappy n Happy said...

Sounds like you have a great month planned!

DeborahGun said...

This sounds great - thanks for organising. And well done for winning :-)

wobblybobbin said...

Congratulations! Excited to follow along with this series, I get the basics, but having only quilted for a year sometimes I feel stumped on how to kick it up a notch :)

Jessica said...

Looking forward to this very much! :) Also, congrats! I voted for you <3

Susan at TheBoredZombie.com said...

Sweet! Sounds really interesting. Congrats on the win, that's fantastic news!

Kelly said...

The colour series sounds great and well done on your festival win.

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...

Congrats on winning the category! I'll look forward to seeing what all your guests have to say about colour :)

Katy Cameron said...

Grand idea, and congrats on the win :o)

Charlotte said...

oooh, that sounds really interesting! I look forward to following along :-)

Kathie said...

Congratulations on winning your category and thanks for organising a series that I definitely need help with!

Annabella said...

Firstly, congrats on winning - that's amazing but not altogether surprisng as your quilt is stunning!! Your colour series sounds awesome - will definitely be following along :)

Rosa said...

Congratulations on winning,that`t awesoome!
Can´t wait to follow along.Thanks for hosting it!

Kirsten said...

Congratulations - your Retro Flowers quilt is so beautiful!!

Dawn said...

This sounds wonderful and I am looking forward to learning all that I can.

CitricSugar said...

Congrats on your win! I really can't say anything more about that quilt without sounding like a deranged fangirl so I'll refrain. :-)

Looking forward to values!

moira said...

Like carly, I'm a deranged fangirl :)

Jessica said...

Really looking forward to this colour theory series. Congratulations on winning your category, I voted for your quilt in viewers choice (:

Newbie Jen said...

oh Boy! this is going to be great.

amy said...

ooooh, this will be awesome!! can't wait!